Friday, January 14, 2011

The Perils of Salt and the Wonders of Chili

I know! I know better! I should NEVER eat salty food products. But, sometimes the cravings get intense and I just can't resist.

Last night we had pulled pork sandwiches and, of course, one must offer potato chips with those sandwiches. Believe me, it's true. You can't eat just one! My mouth savored each bite. I closed my eyes in ecstasy as they slowly made their way down my esophagus into the stomach. And I'd reach for another. I didn't overindulge..I mean, I didn't scarf down half the bag, but still I suffer the consequences.

I woke this morning with my fingers swollen and stiff. Water retention is not a pretty, nor a healthy thing. I suppose it's a reminder to me of why I don't eat potato chips. *sigh*

Tonight, back to healthy eating...and those chips are hitting the trash can. Do you realize how hard it is to type when your fingers have turned into small sausages? Trust me, it's not a pretty picture.

I hope you all have something fun planned for your weekend. I'm planning on having lunch with my best friend tomorrow, and I think my hubby is cooking tomorrow. He only makes one thing...chili. And, he makes killer chili, so I'm looking forward to a night of not having to cook! Hubby began making chili when I was working and kept bugging him about never having a meal waiting for me. He surprised me with a pot of chili one night and ever since, he's been the one who makes it. Unlike me, who tosses everything in and lets it cook for a while, he makes a big production. He dices everything just right, adds the ingredients in a particular order, including his "secret" ingredient (which I know is brown sugar, shh!) and taste tests all day long while it simmers. Mmmm. I can smell it now and almost taste it. I've tried to get him to try cooking other things, but he says he will stick to what he knows...chili. *sigh* In the winter months, I can count on not cooking at least one day a month.

Happy Friday, everyone!

No comments: