Thursday, September 07, 2006

Even Publishers Make Mistakes

In addition to writing novels, I also write inspirational stories for Chicken Soup for the Soul and Cup of Comfort. I have a new story coming out in Cup of Comfort for Grandparents, titled "Through the Eye of a Child". The book should be on the bookstore shelves this week or early next week. My contract states that I receive a specified one-time payment for my story and a copy of the book. Today I received the check, but it was for only one-half of the contracted amount. I was pretty upset. I came into my office and pulled the contract. **grin** Hubby was close on my heels, very upset that someone would dare to do such a thing to me, his favorite author. He was amazed when he saw how organized my file system was. **grin** Anyway, the amount in the contract is exactly what I thought and the publisher had shorted me by a significant amount. Next step was to log into my email and pull up the publisher email and notify them...but waiting in my inbox was an apology from the publisher. Seems they had cut the amount incorrect for ALL the authors who are included in the book. We were told to go ahead and cash the check and an additional check was being cut now and should be mailed right away. The book is being mailed next week.

Ah, so now I feel very powerful. See...even publishers make errors.

Now if only I could come up with a great idea for a book series where other authors did all the writing and I published...and then I reaped all the royalties...but that's another story.

I remember being approached by people who were interested in my true life story of surviving domestic violence which was published on my personal website. They wanted me to allow them to print my story in a book which would be published to help others who were in similar situations. Of course they would have to charge for the book because of the publishing expenses. Hmmm. I declined. Don't misunderstand me, I am all for helping in any way I can. I had many, many women write me about their experiences in being in similar situations and having escaped. Some wrote me and asked for advice on how to get out. I always directed them to sources I had linked on my website. There are many organizations who help. But about allowing my story to be published, maybe I was wrong. Have any of you ever been approached for something similar? If so how did you respond?

You Are a Blue Flower

A blue flower tends to represent peace, openness, and balance.
At times, you are very delicate like a cornflower.
And at other times, you are wise like an iris.
And more than you wish, you're a little cold, like a blue hydrangea.

No comments: