Friday, April 04, 2008

Square Peg...Round Hole?

Some days I feel I'm a small goldfish swimming in a tank full of whales. Some days I feel like a square peg trying to fit into a round hole.

Why?

I'm a romance author. I'm published in both e-book and print. And I don't write hot romance, nor erotica. I write sweet to sensual romance and inspirational romance. Most of my local RWA writing chapter buddies write hot romance. I pick up my Romance Writer Report and almost every book advertised has a cover with a nearly nude man and/or woman on it. When I participate in yahoo chats, I compete with other authors promoting their hot romances, while I'm talking about an inspirational romantic suspense. I attend conferences where workshops are offered on how to write sex scenes. No one, except for Christian writing organizations, offer workshops for inspirational writers. I'm not a religious over-the-top writer. I don't like reading books that "preach" to me. And don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking any authors nor their chosen genre. But where do I fit in? How do I compete as a square peg trying to fit into a round hole?

Is there anyone out there who is interested in reading a book about real people who have strong emotions and fall in love without the graphic love scenes?

As e-publishing becomes a stronger force, and a more viable source of publication for new authors, erotica dominates the field. With that comes the stigma of an inspirational author who publishes in both e-book and print being overlooked.

I'd love to hear comments on your feelings. Do you feel e-published books are inferior? Do you believe inspirational, sweet, and sensual (not graphic) romance is still in demand?

No comments: