Monday, June 15, 2009

Editing by Reading Aloud

If you haven't heard anyone say you must read your manuscript aloud, let me say it loud and clear right now. "Reading your manuscript aloud before submitting is vital to your success."

It's funny how our eyes skim over missing words and awkward sentences when we read to ourselves. So many times I've thought everything in my chapter was perfect, only to read it aloud and find mistakes. But, if you are like me, I'm always embarrassed to have someone overhear me reading to myself. Then I tend to whisper...which isn't effective at all.

My suggestion is to find a close family member or friend and ask if you can read your manuscript to them. My solution is to finalize a chapter and then ask. I only read one chapter at a time. Otherwise, my tongue refuses to work properly.

Since my mother can't read any longer, I asked if she would mind if I read her my story one chapter at a time. It's a great solution. I find mistakes as I'm reading and make marks, BUT I'm also able to correct it with the proper words AS I'm reading it to her.

Please try this if you haven't yet. You may be one of the lucky people who has that private time to read aloud without anyone distracting you. Take advantage!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: