Monday, June 22, 2009

Writing is Cathartic

Writing for me is cathartic. I've used the method for years to cleanse the sad feelings from my heart. The first time I realized I could use my writing gift for this purpose was to cope with the death of a little baby. My best friend in grade school's brother and his wife had a little girl. She was so beautiful. Blonde hair, blue eyes, and unfortunately she had a disease which took her at a very young age of two. I was fourteen at the time. I remember sitting in my room, alone, crying and trying to make sense of the senseless. I picked up a notebook and pen and wrote a poem, pouring out all the hurt and anger about death.

Since then, I've found my release in words.

If only we could bottle up the extreme ends of our emotions and release them in the scenes of our novels, there would be a lot more best-selling authors.

Sometimes my novels start from scenes which are derived from the depth of an emotion. The actual book may or may not even contain that scene in the final version, but writing it down is cathartic.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: