Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Write the Ending...

I've heard other writers suggest writing the ending before you actually reach that point. That troubles me. Since I am a "seat of the pants" writer, I have no idea how the story is going to actually end! I want to be surprised...I think. But, I have gotten stuck in manuscripts with no idea of who the villain is or how to conclude the story. So, what does that tell me? Should I write the ending?

When I begin writing a new story, I always have an idea of who my characters are, the main plot, conflict and how I believe the story will end. How I get there is the surprising part. My characters lead me into new situations and exciting adventures along the way.

I suppose writing the ending wouldn't be a problem. But I just can't do it. Why? Because as I venture along in the story, I get to know my characters much better. I feel their emotions and it becomes easier to show them in action, building always to the climax. So, even if that elusive villain doesn't show himself or herself until the final pages, the stakes will be so high that the climax will explode with emotions and action. Writing the climax is when I'm embedded so deeply into the story that I can't be torn from the keyboard.

I suppose I do write the ending...in my head. But I could never capture it on paper until I reach...The End.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: