Monday, April 18, 2011

Writing as a Visual Process

April showers bring May flowers. And weeds. I thought I had all of them dug up, but this morning when I opened my curtains...

But, I'm happy to see the overcast skies and rain today. I will be writing a dark scene today, so the weather will help to set the mood. Writing for me is a solitary, meditating, and visual process. If the scene I'm writing is different from the view from my window, then I close my eyes to visualize. I believe that's why I can't write with music or other noises distracting me. I need absolute quiet. Scenes for me play out like a movie in my head.

On Saturday, I attended a meeting with my writing group and the speaker presentation, by Sandy James, was entitled "Are You Insane?" She explained the various nuances of mental illnesses like schizophrenia, personality disorders, and anxiety illnesses. One thing she made very clear was not to trust what you see in the movies or on television. While sometimes they get it right, more often they don't. The villain I'm writing now, I wanted to make sure to "get right" and her talk gave me some great insight to forge ahead.

So, now it's time to close down the internet and get busy writing!

No comments: