Thursday, July 20, 2006

The Romance Writer's Life - Installment Two

The workshop was fantastic! I learned that I had probably sealed my novel into doomdon by starting it with a prologue. Then, he had us think of something our heroine would never say or do . . . and rewrite it so they actually did the act and said the words. Arrrrgh!!! I came home thinking I would have to rewrite this thing all over again.

The following week, I received the rejection letter from the Maass agency.

I joined our local writing chapter of RWA hoping to gain a lot of knowledge from fellow writers just like me. In my second meeting I learned about PROs. Well, shucks, folks, I fit the qualifications. I brought my manuscript and the rejection letters and voila! I became a RWA pro.

By now friends and family members were asking when my book would be published. Sooooooo, I tried to explain the publishing business to them . . . how hard it is to get published, get an agent, blah, blah, blah. Their eyes just glazed over.

So I stuck my first novel on the shelf and began to write a new one. Fear set in, could I actually write another whole book?

More to come . . .

No comments: