Saturday, June 02, 2007

Booksigning, Lucky Me, and Recommendation

Today was a very full day at the 2007 Readers and Authors Get Together. I'm not usually lucky...I never win anything. Today I bought 20 raffle tickets for various donated baskets. There were so many different baskets that they were piled on six foot tables lining three quarters of the entire conference room. Well, I was surprised when I won in the morning drawing...but then in the afternoon drawing, I won three more times. I was so embarrassed that I told them to redraw for that last one. LOL! The good news is over $3,000 was raised to help the Cincinnati YWCA Battered Women's Shelter. That was such a wonderful feeling.

After the last raffle drawing and picture taking, authors were to have a two hour slot to sign books. I've never attended a book signing so I didn't know what to expect. I took my own books since Barnes and Noble couldn't (or wouldn't) order mine because of the printing publisher. I thought that B&N would set up the books in the room where we were sitting at our assigned tables, but that's not what happened. The readers went into a separate room and purchased books they wanted, then came back to the room to have them signed. So, that left me (and several others) sitting at tables with our books in front of us hoping some would wander by and check out our "wares." I sold two books in one hour and decided I was too pooped to stay any longer.

All in all it was a fun day. I did a lot of PR work and met some interesting and very nice people, and signed a lot of autographs on book bags and shirts.

I was so happy that one of the baskets I won was put together by Jules Bennett, fellow author of The Wild Rose Press, and the items inside were all by WRP authors. Really cool! I have some great reading material on my shelf.

The last book I read was Coming Home by Jules Bennett. I thoroughly enjoyed the story. Jules is a great character writer. She takes you deeply into the minds of her hero and heroine, while weaving a story that keeps you turning the pages. Coming Home is a story of abiding love, guilt, and forgiveness. I would recommend this to anyone who loves a good romance.

No comments: