Thursday, November 01, 2007

More Wonderful Gifts...

I couldn't have asked for a better birthday! Being born on Halloween has always made me the center of many jokes, all in fun, and all taken in that light. In a way it's a perfect holiday for a birthday. It begins the season of my favorite family-centered holidays--Thanksgiving and Christmas.

The sun shone brightly yesterday, the weather mild in the mid 60s, and a light breeze blowing. Hubby left for work before me and wished me a happy birthday while I still snuggled beneath the covers for another fifteen minutes before my alarm sounded. The evening before we'd brought our cat home from the vet, where he'd been under care for feline urinary tract blockage for nearly six days. Waking up with him snuggled beneath the covers with me was a great present. When I opened the refrigerator a few minutes later, a card fell out. My hubby is so cute, hiding my cards where I'll find them after he leaves. It was a beautiful card and the words fit us perfectly. Probably the best card I've ever receivd from him.

I wore a brand new teal sweater that my fried from work had given me for my birthday. My youngest daughter called to sing happy birthday to me. We talked for about a half-hour. Okay, I'm allowed. It was my birthday!

For break, I always meet with four of my friends. One had baked cupcakes to celebrate. How sweet! I allowed myself this one treat without feeling guilty. I received a birthday card from my ex-boss! He's a workaholic and he hated when I left my position with him to take this one I'm in now. But he's always been really friendly.

Then, the biggest surprise of all, my boss heard a co-worker wish me happy birthday and...

Well, first let me say I've worked for this man for three years and he's never given me a card or acknowledged any special days, not professional admin day, not birthday, not even Christmas! He called me and asked if he could take me out for lunch to celebrate my birthday! We had a really nice lunch and I got to know him a lot better on a personal level. Wow! He kept complimenting me on how great he thought I was, how he appreciated someone he could trust to always get the work done, and said if I ever needed anything to be sure to let him know.

My middle daughter was going to visit me at lunch, so I had to call and tell her I wouldn't be there. We talked and she wished me happy birthday, and actually she called later to tell me a really funny story about her boys. That girl should write a book.

After work I went to Applebee's for half-price happy hour with my girlfriends. We bought five different appetizers for half-price and pigged out. My hubby joined us because we had decided not to pass out candy to the trick or treaters. Our children are all grown and there are so many negatives attached to the tradition today.

We hurried home at 7:30 because my son, who lives in Indiana was in town opening a new store and planned to stop by to visit. I haven't seen him in a couple years, os it was a wonderful birthday gift to see him! While we were talking my brother called from Texas. I listened to him sing happy birthday and told him I'd call back after my son left.

Had a great visit with my son. There's a possibility he could be transferred to Ohio or to Northeast Indiana, which would put him closer to us. Another phone call came in but it showed unknown caller and I didn't recognize the number so I didn't answer.

After my son left, I called my brother and chatted for about a half-hour. By this time I was really sleepy and anxious to get out of my work clothes. I saw we had a voice mail message. It was from my oldest daughter! Rats! That was her cell phone number I'd seen ringing in earlier.

She made me a beautiful hand knit sweater jacket. I've seen pictures and I can't wait to get it! She's said she would try to bring it this weekend. Unfortunately it was too late to call her, but she wished me a happy birthday.

What a wonderful, blessed birthday!

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a beautiful day!!!

No comments: