Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Random Act of Kindness

One night last week, hubby and I were eating at Captain D's. We'd finished our meal and were about to leave when I saw an elderly couple approaching the restrooms. The tiny lady was using a walker, and struggling, while the man, not much bigger tried to reach around her and open the women's bathroom door. I hurried to assist. After getting the woman into the single bathroom, I waited outside with her husband.

He told me he and his wife had both been teachers at a nearby college. He also was a concert violinist. They'd traveled around the United States four times, though their traveling days were over now. His wife had trouble moving around, and he encouraged her to do as much for herself as possible. He only helped her when she couldn't accomplish a task without his assistance. I learned they have a daughter who lives about fifty miles southeast of them. They had offered her a home in town, but she wanted to live away from the city. It was fun chatting with these people, and I came home smiling.

This encounter left me thinking of all the opportunities we overlook to meet other people by being too involved in our busy lives to reach out a helping hand.

Smile and make a new friend today! Thanks for stopping by.

Verse of the day: Romans 12:2 "Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect."

No comments: