Monday, February 02, 2009

Mary Buckham Workshop

On Saturday I attended a conference our local RWA chapter hosted on Pacing, Power Openings, Power Endings, and Plot Points presented by Mary Buckham. Mary is a powerful presenter, witty, funny, and "spot on" at pinpointing problems with manuscripts. I've had problems with my current manuscript and Mary's presentation clearly pinpointed my mistakes. I needed a stronger opening and deeper conflict between my main characters. Mary explained why power openings are so important, and believe me it was an eye-opener.

Using her templates, I've been able to redefine the conflict and give my story a more powerful opening, some great twist points, and a powerful ending. If you haven't taken a Mary Buckham course, I highly recommend doing so. She will motivate you and open your eyes to mistakes you might be making.

Two other fellow chapter members and I met Mary for dinner on Friday evening before the conference. We shared stories about writing, our goals, our fears, and a lot of humorous stories about our "real lives." Mary is gracious, down-to-earth, and sincere. I mean, how many famous people would share one piece of carrot cake on a plate with three other ladies wielding forks? There is nothing like bonding over dessert, even it it isn't chocolate.

If you'd like to learn more about Mary Buckham, her books, and her workshops, please go to www.marybuckham.com

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: