Thursday, May 13, 2010

Dreams and Castles in the Sky

Today I'm thinking of how much different my life is in reality than what I'd dreamed of as a child. Remember when you sat beneath a tree and let your mind wander to all the glorious things the future would hold? Remember wishing you could be a Princess or a Prince? Even today, sometimes I close my eyes and imagine a different future. I believe that's why romance is and always has been a great selling genre. People want to escape into a fantasy world where there is a happily ever after. Here's a poem I wrote a few years ago about the difference between our dreams and reality.

I dreamed of castles in the sky,
Gleaming turrets standing high.
Protected by a prince so fair,
Deep blue eyes and golden hair.
We'd ride on steeds across the lands,
And walk through fields while holding hands.
I never dreamed of endless chores,
I only dreamed of distant shores.
I never dreamed of baby cries,
I only dreamed of crystal skies.
I never dreamed of sleepless nights,
I only dreamed of soaring flights.
I never dreamed of growing old,
Of aches and pains, of chilling cold.
But we build our castles, you and I,
Upon the ground, not in the sky.
Thank you for stopping by today!

No comments: