Thursday, May 20, 2010

Reading, Writing, and Mingling...Oh, My!!!!

Today's Quote: We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit. ~ Aristotle

What I'm Reading: Teacher's Plans by JoAnn Carter

News: I have uploaded children's stories to my Free Reads page on my website.

Picture of the Day:
The above picture shows the COFW members who attended Lori Foster's Readers and Authors Get Together three years ago. This event allows readers and authors to spend a day mingling and chatting and just having a great time! It's a laid-back event with lots of basket raffles, good food, and a ton of laughter and new friendships formed. And, the best part is that you don't have to mortgage your home to attend.  : ) This year's event begins on Friday June 4th and ends on Sunday June 6th. However, if you live in Ohio and don't want to stay overnight, consider driving in on Saturday morning and leaving after the booksigning. : )

Being a very shy person, it is hard for me to "mingle" with people I don't know. However, once I became a published author, I had to learn how to speak with strangers without having my teeth perpetually stuck to my lips. One of the first events I attended was Lori Foster's. What a wonderful experience. I'm so glad I ventured outside my "comfort zone." It allowed me some experience in talking about myself and my books. Since then, I've participated in writing panels at libraries, book signings at various events, and I've even learned to do some promoting when the opportunity presents itself at the grocery store!

I will never be the salesperson or social butterfly that my counterparts are, but I'm working on it. So, instead of staying cooped up in my writing zone, I'm venturing out. My goal is to make that a habit. : )

No comments: