Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words

I've heard that old saying so many times, but as a writer, it has a meaning much different from what the quote's author might have imagined. "A picture is worth a thousand words." One would think it means there are no words needed to describe what one is seeing.

To me it means so much more. A picture might be a snapshot in my mind of something I've seen in the past which made an impact and a vivid memory. Or it might be something I'm currently viewing through my window, or it could be an actual picture taken with a camera.

A writer brings all of these to life with words.  A writer's paintbrush is words.

In the hands of a writer, a snapshot becomes a scene, and a scene becomes a story.

Yes, it's true. A picture is worth a thousand words...or more.

That's the gift of a writer.

No comments: