Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Desks and Writing Space...It's All About Separation

I have a rather large desk. This is the desk where I surf the internet, write blogs, tweets, compose and answer emails, pay bills, address snail mail, and do research. It's also cluttered most of the time. I put things back in their place at least once a week, but I just can't seem to keep it uncluttered.

My laptop sits on the opposite side of the room on another smaller desk. That's where I write. I used to try and write on the desktop computer, but I just couldn't do it. When I'm here, I'm tempted to surf the internet, check emails...and more. Why? Because that's what I do when I sit at this desk.

When I physically change locations to the smaller desk with the laptop, my brain switches to another mode and I can write without feeling the need to check emails, etc. My laptop is wireless, so I can go to the internet for a quick research, if needed, but I don't have email set up on the laptop.

My laptop isn't one of the expensive models with lots of bells and whistles. It's a cheap wireless model with a battery life of an hour. I keep it plugged in when I use it. All I use it for is writing. If I need to print something out, I use a flash drive to move it to my desktop and print.

I hear writers complain all the time about the distraction of wanting to check emails, etc.while they are trying to finish a book or meet a deadline. Having two separate spaces works for me. If you can do this, it just might work for you, too.

No comments: