Sunday, December 24, 2006

Sunday Reflection - 2006 Goals and Achievements

Last January I wrote the following:

My New Year's resolution is to submit my second manuscript in January to Harlequin Intrigue and during the remainder of the year complete my third novel and revisit/rewrite my first one with a new angle and send both of them out to publishers.

Reflecting back over the year, I feel I did pretty good with achieving most. I did submit my second manuscript to Harlequin Intrigue in February and I received a rejection. The reason, I'm sure now, is that the query letter was written focusing more on suspense than on the romance which really is the driving force of FOXFIRE. I pulled my first novel off the shelf and revised it heavily utilizing some thoughts that had been knocking around in my brain. When finished, I submitted it to a new small press publisher, The Wild Rose Press. I received a contract for HIT AND RUN and it was released in September 2006. Subsequently, I submitted my second novel, and received a contract. FOXFIRE will be published by The Wild Rose Press on January 5, 2007. Additionally, I submitted two short holiday stories which were also contracted and published, and wrote a short story for the Premiere Bouquet Contest and was one of the winners. That story will be published along with other winners in a Spring Anthology.

Though I didn't finish the third novel, I feel I accomplished more than I'd planned in 2006, and I'm well on my way to finishing that third novel.

It's my firm belief that if you want to accomplish goals, personal or otherwise, you must write them down. Place them someplace where you will look at them each and every day. You'll become committed to your goals and find yourself striving to complete them. Then when you reflect back over the year, you'll be amazed at what you've accomplished.

Did you set writing goals for yourself this past year? How did you do? Will you set new goals for 2007?

No comments: