Monday, October 15, 2007

Hear Their Cries

My heart has been so heavy over the senseless loss of a beautiful little girl. It is horrible to lose a child in any way, but when the death comes from the blow of a parent, one who has been entrusted to care for God's little angels, it is beyond my comprehension. I haven't been able to get this off my mind. So, I'm taking the liberty of posting something I wrote a while back.

She knelt upon the cold, damp floor,
And clasped her hands in prayer,
Tear stains upon her dirty cheeks,
Clad in tattered underwear.
Outside the door, the fighting raged,
Yelling, cursing, words of hate,
An adult world so filled with pain,
Another sleepless night, her fate.

He cried and squeezed his eyes so tight,
While sounds of anger filled the room,
Mom and Dad in screaming rage,
He knelt in silence in the gloom.
Pajamas warm, a fluffy bed,
A room stock full of toys,
Frightened and alone he prayed,
His words not heard above the noise.

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep,
If I should die before I wake,
I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Lord, Jesus, please save our children.

No comments: