Monday, February 15, 2010

The Reality is Not the Dream

When I left my day job, I envisioned myself coming down to my office and spending six hours a day sitting at the computer and writing, writing, writing. Writing would be my next career. I'd dreamed about it for years.

The reality is not the dream. Even though I don't have the interruption of little children, there are other commitments that call me. Making time for writing becomes just as difficult as working it around the day job.

I've set a writing goal, and I work toward that every day. Some days I exceed the goal, some days I don't reach it. I've learned to be flexible and not make impossible demands. To do so would turn writing into a chore and that's the last thing I want.

The truth is...writing is not easy. It takes discipline, commitment, and time. But it can be very rewarding. There is such a sense of accomplishment and pride when I write the last word in the story. That makes it all worthwhile.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: