Tuesday, September 14, 2010

To Be...Or Not To Be...

When I first began seeking publication for my writing, I thought about using my maiden name because it would be easier for people to pronounce. Next, I thought about making up a catchy pen name that people would easily recognize. But, my husband couldn't understand why I'd want to use a name other than the one I took when we married. He was proud of my efforts.

Erhardt. That's a tough name for anyone to decide how to pronounce. People who call on the telephone and struggle with the pronunciation are quickly weeded out as telemarketers. Hostesses in restaurants get it wrong. Sigh.

But, when I got my first contract, I opted to use my real name. I love my name and I'm not ashamed of what I write. Why should I hide behind a different name?

What about other writers out there? Do you use a pen name? Why or why not?

2 comments:

Paulette said...

Hi Carol!
I’m using my real name, J.Paulette Forshey, for my paranormal writing. Dipping my toes into erotica writing, and if that sells I’m using Genevieve Delacroix, just to keep my two writings separate.
Paulette

Carol Ann said...

Thanks for sharing, Paulette. I know quite a few people who do use different pen names for different genres. Did you research your pen name to see if it had already been used? How did you come up with the name?